Eric R. Pfeffer joined the firm in February 2000, having previously been associated with Koenig, Ratner & Mott, P.C., a general practice law firm in New York City.
Mr. Pfeffer concentrates his practice in the areas of: trusts and estates, including drafting simple and complex wills and trusts, drafting living wills, health care proxies and powers of attorney, tax and business succession planning, and administration of small and large estates (over $5M); general corporate, including representing start-up and established businesses in drafting and amending formation documents, operating agreements, shareholder agreements, employment and consulting agreements, and business contracts, and forming not-for-profit corporations and obtaining 501(c)(3) tax exempt status; intellectual property, including clearing trademarks and domain names, preparing and prosecuting federal trademark applications and registering domain names, and prosecuting and defending trademark infringement claims; and commercial and residential real estate, including drafting and negotiating leases, contracts of sale, and tenancy in common agreements, and drafting and negotiating owner-contractor and owner-architect agreements. Recent matters include:
- Drafting special needs trust and other inter vivos trust to hold substantial grant monies for benefit of adult children;
- Drafting qualified domestic trusts and life insurance trusts for non-U.S. citizens resident in NY;
- Preparing complex request for IRS private letter ruling in connection with portability of deceased spouse’s unused estate tax exclusion amount;
- Administering and handling all aspects of $6M estate of deceased widow with property interests in NY and Canada;
- Representing start-up restaurant and event space business with operations in Atlantic City, Dallas, Austin and Napa Valley;
- Representing start-up spa franchise with operations in NY and CT;
- Obtaining 501(c)(3) tax exempt status for foundation dedicated to ophthalmology research and education in U.S. and abroad;
- Obtaining trademark registration for large electronic retailer in NY;
- Negotiating NY lease for fast-growing San Francisco start-up;
- Negotiating DC sublease for large London and NY law firm;
- Negotiating contract for purchase of 3 story mixed-use building in Ossining, NY; and
- Negotiating owner-contractor agreement for large renovation project in Woodstock, NY.
Mr. Pfeffer received his B.A. degree with honors from the State University of New York at Binghamton in 1985. He received his J.D. degree from Hofstra University School of Law in 1989, where he was a member and associate editor of the Hofstra Law Review. Mr. Pfeffer also attended New York University School of Law for select courses in the LL.M. tax program. Mr. Pfeffer is admitted to practice in New York and is a member of the New York State and American Bar Associations.