Robert became a member of RLR in 2020 and specializes in commercial litigation handling a variety of complex disputes for individuals and companies in various forums, including state and federal court and arbitral forums such as FINRA, JAMS and the American Arbitration Association.
Robert has handled a variety of disputes on behalf of individuals and companies including those concerning breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, professional malpractice, partnership disputes, art law, intellectual property, defamation, usurpation of corporate opportunity claims, employment-related disputes, including breach of employment agreements and restrictive covenants, real estate-related disputes such as those stemming from rights of first refusal, cooperative and condominium disputes, construction disputes, and disputes related to enforcement of judgments, including domesticating and enforcing foreign country money judgments.
Representative cases Robert handled include:
- Defending prominent New York art gallery against claims brought by French gallery in federal court alleging interference with French gallery’s project with prominent Chinese born artist. Case is still pending.
- Defending high level executive and his public company employer from claims of, among other things, violation of breach of restrictive covenant by former employer in federal court. Case resulted in confidential settlement.
- Prosecuting claims in confidential arbitration by high frequency trading firm against former employee for violation of restrictive covenants as well as claims against employee’s subsequent employer for theft of trade secrets. Case resulted in confidential settlement.
- Prosecuting claims in state court on behalf of assignee for benefit of creditors of prominent executive search firm against firm’s former outside legal counsel for failing to disclose to company the syphoning of millions of dollars of firm funds by firm’s employee to third parties, as well as prosecuting claims against former employee and third parties who received funds. Case resulted in favorable settlement after achieving favorable rulings from trial and appellate courts.
- Defending prominent art gallery owner for claims in state court for fraud and aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty in connection with purchase and re-sale of valuable painting by well-known artist. Case resulted in favorable trial verdict dismissing all claims against Robert’s client.
- Defending lawyers and law firm against civil claims brought by New York State Attorney General alleging fraudulent and deceptive practices in connection with filing of thousands of debt collection actions on behalf of a client. Case is still pending.
- Prosecuting multi-day bench trial before referee to determine appropriate allocation of membership interests among members of a limited liability company resulting in favorable ruling that clients held substantial majority interest.
- Prosecuting claims on behalf of commercial condominium unit owner in state trial and appellate court to halt sale of separate unit from condominium’s board of managers to third party in violation of client’s right of first refusal to purchase that unit under the condominium’s governing documents. Robert obtained summary judgment at the trial court level and successfully sustained that award on appeal wherein the court ordered the board to offer a right of first refusal to Robert’s client to purchase the unit before consummating any sale.
- Prosecuting derivative claims by condominium unit owner against condominium’s board of managers relating to board’s failure to remedy numerous defects in the building and unit. Trial court awarded significant monetary award in favor of Robert’s client.
- Defended claims against well-known Broadway licensing company in connection with purchase of commercial condominium unit in alleged violation of right of first refusal. Case resulted in favorable settlement for client.
- Defending board of managers of prominent New York City condominium against numerous claims by unit owners in connection with failure to effectuate repairs. Case resulted in favorable settlement for clients.
- Defending claims and pursuing counterclaims on behalf of members related to disputes under parties’ limited liability company agreement in connection with New York City real estate development project resulting in favorable settlement for clients.
- Prosecuting claim to domesticate multi-million dollar foreign country money judgment as part of multi-forum attempt by fund to seize assets of defaulting obligor.
Robert attended Cornell University (B.S. ‘01) and Fordham University School of Law (J.D. ’04).